Local government plays a key role in planning and establishing age-friendly communities. Age-friendly communities encourage active ageing and optimise opportunities for good health, social and economic participation and personal security. They recognise the great diversity of our older population, promote inclusion of older people and respect their decisions and lifestyle choices.
Manningham Council has completed a range of actions of the Ageing Well in Manningham Strategy 2012 – 2018 and is also a signatory to the Victorian Government and MAV Age Friendly Victorian Declaration. Manningham Council’s commitment is further strengthened with the inclusion of key initiatives in the Healthy City Strategy 2017 – 2021 and intent to become an Age and Dementia Friendly City.
We want to ensure the voices of older Manningham residents and the organisations supporting them are actively involved in and assist with development of a Positive Ageing Action Plan 2019-2021. The inaugural Manningham Positive Ageing Alliance Group (MPAAG) will play a key role to develop the plan and guide Council to deliver actions and initiatives that will help foster positive change for older Manningham residents.
Who is eligible?
Manningham Council is seeking nominations from interested people and organisations to join the Manningham Positive Ageing Alliance Group (MPAAG). Expression of interest will be accepted from residents, community organisations, sporting clubs, local businesses, service clubs, faith groups and other bodies interested in creating a more inclusive community.
The following membership criteria will be used to make appointments to the group.
- Relevant experience in committees and/or demonstrated ability to participate in, and constructively contribute to a committee with a focus on positive ageing
- Live, work or study within the Manningham municipality or have a demonstrated connection to the municipality through professional, technical or industry alliances
- Understand the role of local government in healthy ageing
- Demonstrate a mix of skills and attributes to complement other members of the committee
- Have the ability and capacity to regularly attend and participate in meetings as scheduled.
- Your organisation provides services within the Manningham municipality or has a demonstrated connection to the municipality through professional, technical or industry alliances
- Your organisation demonstrates commitment to age friendly communities, health promotion and/or preventative health for older adults
- Your organisations understands the role of local government in healthy ageing
- Demonstrate that you would bring a mix of skills and attributes to complement other members of the committee
- Have the ability to regularly attend and participate in meetings as scheduled.
The Manningham Positive Ageing Alliance Group will meet on a quarterly basis (four meetings per year).
How to apply?
The nomination process will be open from Monday 25 March 2019 and closes on Friday 17 May 2019.
To apply, fill out our online application form.
Alternatively, you may download and complete the MPAAG expression of Interest form (52.66 KB) form and either
- Post to Keri Kennealy, Manningham Council , PO Box 1, Doncaster Victoria 3108 or
- Drop in at the customer service desk at Manningham Civic Centre, 699 Doncaster Road, Doncaster